EMBLEM MRI S-ICD vs Other ICD and Pacemaker Devices
The EMBLEM MRI S-ICD System is different from other implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) devices designed to treat heart conditions. Your doctor will guide you to the device that’s best for you.
EMBLEM MRI S-ICD vs a Pacemaker
Two common electrical devices used to control the heart’s rhythm are pacemakers and implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICD). Both devices are implanted in people and both use electrical impulses to stimulate the heart. But there are distinct differences between them:
- A pacemaker helps control an abnormally slow heart rhythm.
- It sends small electrical pulses to the heart if the heart is beating too slowly.
EMBLEM MRI S-ICD System
- An ICD device such as the EMBLEM MRI S-ICD System sends an electric shock to the heart if it detects a dangerously fast heartbeat in order to restore the heart to its normal rhythm.
- An ICD is designed to prevent Sudden Cardiac Arrest.
EMBLEM MRI S-ICD vs Traditional ICDs
ICD therapy is a very trustworthy therapy that has prolonged hundreds of thousands of lives. When ICD devices were first introduced in the 1980s, they were implanted in the abdomen. Later came the transvenous ICD, which is implanted in the shoulder area. The less invasive subcutaneous (under the skin) ICD or EMBLEM MRI S-ICD System is the newest type of ICD device, which delivers protection without touching the heart.
Transvenous ICD implant procedure
- A transvenous ICD device is typically implanted in the left shoulder area, near the collarbone.
- Using X-ray imaging, the leads are fed through a vein into the heart and across the heart valve.
- Depending on your heart condition, 1 or 2 leads will be placed in the heart. Once the leads are put in place, they are attached to the heart wall for optimal connectivity.
EMBLEM MRI S-ICD System implant procedure
- Unlike a transvenous ICD device, the pulse generator is typically implanted on the left side of the chest next to the rib cage and the lead is implanted just under the skin above the breastbone.
- The EMBLEM MRI S-ICD electrode is placed under the skin. The EMBLEM MRI S-ICD System delivers therapy without the need for wires implanted in the heart.
- EMBLEM MRI S-ICD leaves the heart and blood vessels untouched and intact.
Hear from S-ICD System patients
Meet real S-ICD System patients as they share their stories and personal journeys.