Living with EMBLEM MRI S-ICD
- Having an EMBLEM MRI S-ICD System does not prevent you from traveling. That said, check with your doctor about any travel restrictions you may have.
- Carry your patient identification card while traveling.
- Notify your travel insurance company that you have an EMBLEM MRI S-ICD System implanted. Some insurance companies may require written confirmation from your cardiologist that you are fit to travel.
- In general, the EMBLEM MRI S-ICD System is compatible with an active lifestyle.
- Your doctor will let you know when you can return to your regular activities.
- You should be able to resume most forms of exercise but you should avoid contact sports such as football and rugby because a fall or direct hit to your chest could damage your device. However, some people do play contact sports with appropriate protection. Talk to your doctor before you consider participating in a contact sport.
- It’s vital that you tell your doctor, nurse, or dentist that you have an EMBLEM MRI S-ICD System implanted before undergoing any procedures. They may need to speak with your cardiologist (heart doctor) before performing any tests or procedures. You should take your patient identification card with you whenever you go to hospital.
- Your doctor will advise you if, and when, you may drive after your EMBLEM MRI S-ICD System has been implanted. Local laws may also apply.
- Some people may be reluctant to resume sexual activity after recovery but in general, the EMBLEM MRI S-ICD System is compatible with an active sex life.
- The EMBLEM MRI S-ICD System can distinguish between a high heart rate and an arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat). If you have any concerns, ask your doctor.
- Most typical household electrical equipment won't interfere with your EMBLEM MRI S-ICD, as long as the equipment is in good working order. However, you should keep electrical devices away from your EMBLEM MRI S-ICD site. Reference our EMI Guide for more details about specific equipment and electrical devices
- Ask your doctor for a complete list of precautions for your EMBLEM MRI S-ICD System.
- In general, an EMBLEM MRI S-ICD System should not restrict your ability to work. For example, it is generally safe to use a photocopier, fax machine, and personal computer, as long as that equipment is in good working order. However, certain equipment such as chainsaws, corded drills, power saws, and lawnmowers should be kept at least 12 inches from the device. Running motors and alternators, especially those found in vehicles, and arc-welding equipment should be kept 24 inches from the device. Review our EMI Guide for more information.
- Talk with your doctor about what your work involves so that you can obtain detailed information before using any equipment.
Find a Doctor
Find an electrophysiologist in your area trained and experienced in the cutting-edge EMBLEM MRI S-ICD technology.
Hear from S-ICD System patients
Meet real S-ICD System patients as they share their stories and personal journeys.